Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"I hear the wind blow, I hear the wind blow, it seems to say, hello, hello, I'm the one who loves you so."

And windy has it been. I don't feel like it really loves me that much.
This week I have learned patience in my adversities and my trials. After experiencing a somewhat difficult, but faith building trial not too long ago, I recongnized how important trials were. Then I did the unspeakable. I prayed for trials. I don't know what I was thinking but my prayer was answered. The next several days were all very stress filled and things seemed to just keep going wrong. I was getting frustrated. I was getting impatient. I was getting incredibly stressed, until suddenly it occured to me that I had payed for this, and I found out how to make any lousy day much much better. That night, when the realization came, before getting into bed I knelt down and prayed. Except, instead of asking for anything, I tried to give a prayer only saying what I was grateful for. It took a minute, but suddenly I started seeing all of the little things that made my day so much better. After that prayer, I felt so good about the day, and realized that I didn't need my days to change. I needed my attitude to change. I needed to "count my... blessings" and "see what God hath done". The next day, the trials didn't end, but I endured them so much better. We got hailed on. One of our investigators brought her youth Pastor with her to an appointment, who was condescending and argumentative. One guy even drove accross four lanes of traffic, down the wrong side of the road, just to hit a puddle of water and splash us. By all counts, it should have been a lousy day, but because of that focus on what was good, instead of what was bad, I didn't get discouraged. I remained "troubled on every side, yet not distressed... perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;" Be happy in your trials. Focus on the Good, not the Bad, and your whole life will change, even if nothing around you does.
I love and miss you all!
-- Elder Keenan Monnett

1 comment:

  1. "One of our investigators brought her youth Pastor with her to an appointment, who was condescending and argumentative. "

    I think that's pretty unfair to call him condescending and argumentative when he was neither of those things. He simply answered the questions that were asked of him.

    ReplyDelete