Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Thriving Metropolis of Caruthers.

I live on a Chicken Farm.

I never thought I'd be able to say that, but there it is. I live on a chicken farm in the middle of nowhere. I suppose I'll backtrack a bit. So as many of you might remember, I was transferred to Caruthers Ward. Well, upon arival, I realized that I don't live anywhere really near the actual town of Caruthers, but I live with a Member, on a Chicken farm, somwhere between Caruthers and Selma. Our "apartment" is an attic above a garage that has been "finished". Its about 240 square feet total. I guess you could call it a Studio apartment, if that. The refrigerator is next to my bed. We can't run the air conditioning and the microwave at the same time, or we'll blow a circuit. We can't really run anything and the air conditioner at the same time. We cover a large chunk of the country. The two biggest towns in our area are Caruthers and Riverdale, which have about 2500 people each. Then theres a handful of nowhere towns in-between. Basically, we're never on bikes, because it just wouldn't be practical. Of course, you won't hear me complaining about that part.

On service project I am quite excited about is Chick tossing! The member who's chicken farm we live on is getting a shipment of 146,000 chicks who will eventually become food this wednesday! He needs help putting them in! I've been told that it consists of Taking a box of about 100 chicks, and then tossing them out of the box, into a pile. Rinse and Repeat. I'm pretty much pumped for it, and I will deffinitely be taking some pictures, that I will be forced to share with everyone else. So be looking for those.

As far as spiritual work in Caruthers ward goes, well, we're working on that. This area seems to be the core of flakey investigators. I've never had so many cancelled apointments. We'd rely more heavily on the ward, but theres only about 60 or 70 active members. That's counting all of the kids and babies and such. I'm certainly not used to the small ward environment. Last I heard my home ward was just about busting at the seams.

Depsite all the things that seem like they might be setbacks, I'm actually really enjoying this area. It could very easily be my last area in the mission, so I'm glad that is the case. I could finish here and be very happy. However, I will do my best to make sure it gets even better (cause I certianly wouldn't mind another baptism or two before the end).

I love and miss you all!

-- Elder Keenan Monnett

No comments:

Post a Comment