Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Turlock!

Where do I even begin? SO much has happened since the last time I emailed home.

So my last day at the MTC was exciting, we drove out to the airport, boarded a tiny plane and flew into an even tinier airport in Fresno, CA. We passed missionaries who where heading home on our way to meet the mission president. Once we met with President and Sister Gonzalez they took us to the mission office, gave us each a temporary companion, and told us to get to work!

It doesn't really dawn on you how grossly unprepared you are to teach until you walk up to your first street contact. Luckily, one, the lord provides, and two, Elder Hancock, my temporary companion for the day, knew what he was doing, and led most of the conversation with people we talked to. So that night I stayed in an apartment with 15 other new missionaries, and then we headed back to the mission office to get our new companions.

So, I got to say hello to my new companion for the next six weeks (or longer), Elder Asay (pronounced A-C, just so you know) and we where sent to the Turlock 2nd ward area. Never heard of Turlock before? Neither had I! But its about an hour and a half north of Fresno. And let me tell you, we've been freezing our butts off in this 50 and 60 degree sunny weather. (Jealous? You should be.)

So, fun fact about Turlock. It used to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most religions per capita. Let me tell you, that makes tracting so much fun. It is a lot easier for people who don't have religion, or aren't strong in it, to hear the truth than it is for people who are already strong in their own faith. Let the door slamming begin. I can at least take solace in the fact that despite how many people yell at me, or slam doors in my face, or try to confound me in my words, that Alma and Abinadi and Ammon and so many other ancient prophets and missionaries went through much harder trials and tribulations than I probably ever will, and they where still successful.

So, despite my area's name of Turlock 2nd ward, very little of our area actually covers Turlock. We cover small towns nearby, like Delhi, and Hilmar. Did you know that Hilmar is home to the largest cheese factory in the world? See? We're all learning! Let me tell you something else, you know what it smells like on a farm? That's what all of Delhi and Hilmar smell like, all the time! Mmm mmm good.

But despite the religiously intolerant people, and the faint aroma of animal dung in the air, the people of Turlock and surrounding areas are actually good people, and the work has been progressing well. We have a goal of 12 baptisms in this ward this year, and we already have one scheduled for 2 weeks from now! Through no help of my own, but I count it regardless.

Here are more fun facts about the California Fresno mission. The average mission baptizes about 450 people a year. Last year the Fresno mission baptized 936 people. Why so successful? Obedience. The missionaries in this mission are some of the most obedient missionaries you will find anywhere, including Elder Asay, who has done wonders to help show me the ropes.

I know I am where I am supposed to be, and know that what I teach is true. I encourage all of you, whether you've done it or not, whether you are a member of the church or not, to read or reread through the Book of Mormon, and pray to know if its true. It has been promised that God will testify to you that it is, and that promise never expires no matter how many times you use it. The work shall progress. Should we not go on in so great a cause?

I love you all,
Elder Keenan Monnett

No comments:

Post a Comment