Friday, February 11, 2011

Oh to see how far I've come

And yet, I still have so far to go. I'm sure some of you are wondering what has become of me, after my companion left and I was left alone. Or maybe you aren't. I don't really care. I'm going to tell you anyway. On Thursday, a Temporary Missionary, Elder Openshaw, was sent to Salida, from Houghson (A small town near Turlock) to be my companion. Temporary MIssionaries = Harder than training. When you train a missionary, he has at least been through the MTC. He knows the lessons (sort of), and he has been in teaching scenarios. However, Temporary Missionaries are usually younger (E. Openshaw is 17) and have no experience prior to their first day in the mission field, with you. However, despite all of these things that certainly had me on edge, Elder Openshaw has actually turned out to be far better than I had previously supposed, and much more confident than I was on my first day. Its odd, only having been on my mission for a little over 4 months, and yet here I am, as a senior companion, and as a trainer. It has really helped me to see how far I've come in these last 4 months. Elder Openshaw reminds me a lot of myself during my first transfer with Elder Asay (I am SO SORRY Elder Asay). It's helped with patience, with understanding, and it has helped me to better myself, as a servant of God. So a thanks goes out to you Elder Openshaw. Things in Salida are going great. The weather is still bizzare (we're back into Jacket weather again) but the people are still amazing. Though the work has slowed a little, I am confident that Elder Openshaw and I will be able to get the work moving again.


Some of you may or may not know that my brother was married this last weekend. Making me the Oldest unmarried child in my family. Upon bringing this up to me, my Mother quickly added "but you better not be thinking about that". That's ok Mom, I bet Haley gets married before me anyway. So apparently things are still moving both inside my mission and out. I'd like to hear what's going on in each of your lives, so I'm not completely outside the loop. I challange anyone who has not sent me a letter yet to do it this week, and share with me a faith building experience they've had this last month. Of course, people who write me all the time can do so as well. I look forward to hearing from you all, and I love and appreciate your support.


Elder Keenan Monnett

No comments:

Post a Comment