Friday, February 11, 2011

Summer, Summer, Go Away

Summer was such a pleasant experience in Ohio, because in Ohio, July typically marks the halfway point of summer, which winds down a cooler temperature in September. Tis not so in California. Not only do I go through the bizarre, rainless, cloudless summer months here, but I've only about just now hit the halfway point. I love heat!

On a more missionary minded note, things have been going great here as far as the work goes. We are working toward our goal of 200 baptisms for the month of August in the California Fresno Mission. If we achieve this goal it will be the most that have ever been baptized in this mission in a single month. We've selected a righteous goal. If we do everything we can the Lord will follow through on his part. Sadly, zone conferences have been moved, from monthly Zone Conferences, to quarterly ones. Now instead of having 17 more zone conferences in my mission, I'll only have 5. Tis a sad day, but I do not doubt the wiseness of the lord, nor his servant, my mission president. I just really flippin liked zone conferences is all.

In my free time (what is free time?) I've been reading a book called Jesus the Christ (given to me by my amazing sister, Valerie) and it is an absolutely amazing book about the life and mission of our savior. In this book, the author (James E. Talmage) talks briefly about faith. He tells us that faith, though it is available to all who seek it, is a gift, and one that is only given us should the Lord will it so. I like that. We can learn from that, that like any gift that God offers us, it comes with a price. We have to prove ourselves worthy to receive gifts and blessings from the Lord.

That's why it can be incredibly frustrating when people tell me that they know the church isn't true, or that the book of Mormon is not true, saying that they haven't received an answer to their prayers, so that they don't believe it. In order to receive the gift of faith, we have to prove ourselves worthy of it. We have live in a way that is pleasing to the lord.

We have to sincerely desire it. But even then, there is still work to do.

Moroni tells us in Ether 12:6 "...faith is things which are hoped for and not seen. wherefore, dispute not, because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until *after* the trial of your faith." So even after we have acquired that gift of faith, it still has to be tried before we will receive a witness that it is true. I invite everyone to remember that next time they feel as if their answer to their prayers isn't coming. Be patient, be believing, and be worthy, and your answer will come.

I love and miss you all,

Elder Keenan Monnett

No comments:

Post a Comment